Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My life as a deckhand

I feel a special kinship to the seagulls that feed at the edge of the water on halibut carcasses left by successful fishermen. Like them, I feed off of others leavings, both figuratively and literally. When a sandwich, soggy with day long perspiration is found wedged between seat cushions my heart palpitates, a half eaten bag of Doritos tossed into the trash makes my mouth water. I am the omnivore of dirt bag fishermen. It has (no joke) become a game to see how long I can live off of scraps without buying food, four days and going strong. I am however going 7 days of cleaning fish and busting ass for 8-12 hours a day without showering, I no longer smell myself but I do worry about attracting bears.
I smell and am not really making much money but I am feeling really good about it. I am not rich in money but I am earning dividends on experiences. It feels good to lean and do something new and different even if it is just working on a fishing boat. Now the real question is how do I keep doing this (working and learning new things) for years to come or the even more difficult to figure out question is how do I stop and re-enter the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment