Sunday, January 9, 2011

MAC N' CHZ Kinda Week

This has been a good week in Korea. No matter the country, a week that includes Costco, Ice Hockey, and a care package can't be half bad. 
The Costco trip was epic to say the least. It required taking two trains and a cab each way. I split the cost of membership with a co worker and we wandered through the three story Costco for hours. I purchased 5lbs of shredded Cheddar cheese, 5lbs of ground pork, and a 10lb bag of pancake mix. My coworker got an equally absurd amount of consumables. We neglected the logistics of trying to carry all our treasures home, for the time being we were in bulk sized heaven. The train was packed and we had to stand over our boxes  but we were still happy. The smiles ended when we stepped from the warm train into the sub zero frozen wasteland that is Ansan. The icy death march began. I was forced to stop every 20 steps or so to rewarm my fingers but in the end the pork-potato-egg-cheese-hash I ate the next morning made it worth possible frost bite. The side of waffles really brought the meal together.


I went to watch a Hockey match last night with friends but instead we ended up seeing a tickle fight on ice. Hockey in Korea is horrible. They don't sell beer and don't allow fighting or checking. I ask you...what's the point? I still had fun screaming obscenities in English that no one understood. My favorite being "stab him with your skate." (what's wrong with me?) The highlight of the evening had to be a deep-fried corn dog I bought on the street. What is better than a corn dog? How about one that is battered a second time? Who ever thought to deep-fry something that has already been deep-fried is a genius and deserves a national holiday.

Lastly my week was started with a care package sent from some lovely Alaskan ladies. It included all the things I have been craving...even box Mac N' Cheese. I made myself sick the first night by eating a whole box from the pan. WORTH IT! Thank you again for the gifts. I also got about a million letters, thank you all for those and watch your mail boxes, I'll write back just as soon as I can.



A couple of pictures of my adventures:

 Some of the more interesting items for sale at Costco....there were also live fish for sale:)
 Waffley goodness with a potato for scale.
 Korea is a frozen wasteland....wanna visit?
 Sharon and Jessica (co-workers) at Korean BBQ this whole spread cost us $6 each. Beer and Soju included plus there was more on the table next to us that didn't fit into the picture.
MAC N' CHZ

1 comment:

  1. No checking in hockey?!? Where the hell did they get that idea? Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

    ReplyDelete